Re: rayshade POV Export help asked

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130390] Re: rayshade POV Export help asked
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 21:54:47 -0400 (EDT)

John,

On Apr 6, 2013, at 2:03 PM, John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell <johnandsara2 at cox.net> wrote:

> Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>> Thanks for attempting this!
>> A number of troubles with your distribution on OS X, to the extent I couldn't reach the stage of getting it to work:
>> (1) The main package is named rayshade.2.2.m, which means one has to load it as:
>>     <<rayshade.2.2`rayshade.m`
>
> no, just
>
> << rayshade.m
>

> Although use SetDirectory["/where/rayshade.2.2/"] first.  That's an install issue but not the worst I've seen :)  If people like it I will keep that in mind.  Thank you.

Using SetDirectory first is awkward and unnecessary. Most modern 3rd-part add-on allow you to just plunk the whole directory into $UserBaseDirectory/Applications and then, whatever the add-on folder's name "app", use a corresponding <<app` or Needs["app`"] to load.

>> The package name is almost the same as the directory name. Normally one would place the entire extracted directory into the $UserBaseDirectory's Applications directory. The Wouldn't it be better to rename the folder, as distributed, simply "rayshade" and then include within the directory a subdirectory "Kernel" and in that put an init.m with contents:
>>  Get["rayshade`rayshade`"]
>> (2) The distribution seems to have been developed for older versions of Mathematica, which requires some considerable fixing for Mathematica 9 (and I think even 8):
>>    (a) Package rayshade.m begins:
>>          BeginPackage["rayshade`","DiscreteMath`ComputationalGeometry`"]
>> But in current Mathematica, add-on ComputationalGeometry is directly available with a simpler context-path ComputationalGeometry`. That is, the BeginPackage should be simply:
>>           BeginPackage["rayshade`","ComputationalGeometry`"]
>

> Ok thanks.  I'll just Need both.
>

>>     (b) Package rayshade.m includes:
>>           Needs["rayshade`SurfaceGraphics3D`"]
>> And the old SurfaceGraphics3D.m, distributed with rayshade.2.2, uses Utilities`FilterOptions`. But the latter utility is now obsolete, and its functionality is provided by the kernel function FilterRules.
>

> SurfaceGraphics3D.m is Mr. Roman E. Maeder's project.  It's provided as a curteousy to him and previous users of his version 1 of rayshade`.  (no plans to improve or maintain it for now)

Yes, I looked inside SurfaceGraphics3D.m and saw it was Roman's. The issue here is that SurfaceGraphics3D.m either doesn't work as is or, if it does, still throws warning messages about the use of FilterOptions.

>> Hope you'll update these things to the current environment -- or, if you wish, for backward compatibility include some forking -- so that we can then test the application.
>
> I'll keep the mail and make ammends that I can in the next upload / update.
>
> Thank you very much Murray !!
>
> 	-- John (debguy)

---
Murray Eisenberg                                    murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305