Re: rayshade POV Export help asked

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130389] Re: rayshade POV Export help asked
  • From: "John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell" <johnandsara2 at cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 21:54:27 -0400 (EDT)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> Thanks for attempting this!
>
> A number of troubles with your distribution on OS X, to the extent I couldn't reach the stage of getting it to work:
>
> (1) The main package is named rayshade.2.2.m, which means one has to load it as:
>
>      <<rayshade.2.2`rayshade.m`

no, just

<< rayshade.m

Although use SetDirectory["/where/rayshade.2.2/"] first.  That's an
install issue but not the worst I've seen :)  If people like it I will
keep that in mind.  Thank you.

> The package name is almost the same as the directory name. Normally one would place the entire extracted directory into the $UserBaseDirectory's Applications directory. The Wouldn't it be better to rename the folder, as distributed, simply "rayshade" and then include within the directory a subdirectory "Kernel" and in that put an init.m with contents:
>
>   Get["rayshade`rayshade`"]
>
> (2) The distribution seems to have been developed for older versions of Mathematica, which requires some considerable fixing for Mathematica 9 (and I think even 8):
>
>     (a) Package rayshade.m begins:
>
>           BeginPackage["rayshade`","DiscreteMath`ComputationalGeometry`"]
>
> But in current Mathematica, add-on ComputationalGeometry is directly available with a simpler context-path ComputationalGeometry`. That is, the BeginPackage should be simply:
>
>            BeginPackage["rayshade`","ComputationalGeometry`"]

Ok thanks.  I'll just Need both.

>      (b) Package rayshade.m includes:
>
>            Needs["rayshade`SurfaceGraphics3D`"]
>
> And the old SurfaceGraphics3D.m, distributed with rayshade.2.2, uses Utilities`FilterOptions`. But the latter utility is now obsolete, and its functionality is provided by the kernel function FilterRules.

SurfaceGraphics3D.m is Mr. Roman E. Maeder's project.  It's provided
as a curteousy to him and previous users of his version 1 of
rayshade`.  (no plans to improve or maintain it for now)

> Hope you'll update these things to the current environment -- or, if you wish, for backward compatibility include some forking -- so that we can then test the application.

I'll keep the mail and make ammends that I can in the next upload /
update.

Thank you very much Murray !!

	-- John (debguy)