Can MathLink write binary data to and read binary data from a TCP or

I have a data acquisition system (which runs a UDP server on a point to point ethernet connection) which I want to control from Mathematica by sending it a bunch of bytes as commands and reading back binary data.
Is MathLink all I need or do I need some auxiliary code?

Not my hometurf :-(

Thanks for any advice!