Re: Ingolf Dahl's "SetFaceAndFont" palette broken in Mathematica 9

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129868] Re: Ingolf Dahl's "SetFaceAndFont" palette broken in Mathematica 9
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 18:52:54 -0500 (EST)

Yes, one _could_ get most of the SetFaceAndFont formatting from the
Writing Assistant's Text Properties tab -- or, for that matter, directly
from Mathematica's Format menu. However, doing so requires a lot more
work.

The great advantage of Dahl's SetFaceAndFont palette is that with a
_single click_ one can make text Courier or Times Italic or Helvetica or
color text red or give it a light yellow background. Moreover, one can
quickly format a selection to have the same appearance as any other
selection: select the text whose formatting is to be copied, click a
button on the palette, select the new text, and click a second button.
Finally, with a single button click, one can remove all special
formatting applied to the selected text.

Despite the built-in Format menu and the Writing Assistant palette, over
several years I have found SetFaceAndFont to be indispensable.

On Feb 19, 2013, at 10:17 AM, Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most that you describe (except perhaps the separate background color
> for the selection rather than the cell) can be done with the  "Writing
> Assistant" built-in pallette:
> Pallettes | Writing Assistant | Text Properties
>

> Bob Hanlon
>

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Murray Eisenberg
> <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:
>> This refers to Ingolf Dahl's palette SetFaceAndFont -- see:
>>
>>   http://www.familydahl.se/mathematica/#SetFaceAndFont
>>
>> I've been using it for some years as the quickest way to apply various
>> formatting to selected text. E.g., in a Text cell select a Mathematica
>> name and click the palette's button that changes the font to Courier. Or
>> select some text and change its font to Times Italic. Or change the
>> background color for the selection to a light yellow.
>>
>> But with Mathematica 9 (or at least 9.0.1), clicking one of the
>> palette's buttons now applies the effect to the entire cell -- not just
>> to the selection.
>>
>> Has anybody else experienced this? What might be the reason for the
>> change in behavior and how might it be fixed?
>>
>> ---
>> Murray Eisenberg                                    murray at math.umass.edu
>> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
>> Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
>> University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
>> 710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
>> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

---