Re: Ingolf Dahl's "SetFaceAndFont" palette broken in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg129870] Re: Ingolf Dahl's "SetFaceAndFont" palette broken in Mathematica
  • From: awnl <awnl at>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 18:53:34 -0500 (EST)

Am 19.02.2013 07:09, schrieb Murray Eisenberg:
> This refers to Ingolf Dahl's palette SetFaceAndFont -- see:
> I've been using it for some years as the quickest way to apply various
> formatting to selected text. E.g., in a Text cell select a Mathematica
> name and click the palette's button that changes the font to Courier. Or
> select some text and change its font to Times Italic. Or change the
> background color for the selection to a light yellow.
> But with Mathematica 9 (or at least 9.0.1), clicking one of the
> palette's buttons now applies the effect to the entire cell -- not just
> to the selection.
> Has anybody else experienced this? What might be the reason for the
> change in behavior and how might it be fixed?

I think this is a bug/inconsistancy of version 9. The following
simplification shows the problem:

   SetOptions[NotebookSelection[InputNotebook[]], FontSlant -> "Plain",
     FontFamily -> "Courier", FontWeight -> "Plain", FontSize -> 12],
   Evaluator -> None
   ] // CreatePalette

pressing the button with a selection in another notebook behaves
different in version 9 to previous versions, and I think the
version-9-behavior is wrong. I don't have an idea how to fix this, though...