Unexpected expectation behaviour

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg131033] Unexpected expectation behaviour
  • From: Donagh Horgan <donagh.horgan at>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 03:28:01 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,

I've been playing around with the following expected value, but I've run into some odd behaviour with Expectation and NExpectation. The following example illustrates the problem:

Expectation[Abs[y - 1]^3,
 y \[Distributed] NoncentralChiSquareDistribution[1, s]]
Plot[{%, NExpectation[Abs[y - 1]^3,
   y \[Distributed] NoncentralChiSquareDistribution[1, s]]}, {s, 0,

All advice greatly appreciated.