Importing a file and extracting data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131157] Importing a file and extracting data
  • From: howardfink at gmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 05:04:56 -0400 (EDT)

I have a series of files of this form:

June 7, 2013
Tc+Naphthalene  vs Temperature (oC)

Run 1
Tc_Naph_84_2C			3.740 ns
Tc_Naph_87_1C			3.731 ns
Tc_Naph_89_9C			3.720 ns
Tc_Naph_92_9C			3.704 ns
Tc_Naph_94_7C			3.687 ns
Tc_Naph_97_6C			3.694 ns

Run 2
Tc_Naph_83_2C			3.758 ns
Tc_Naph_83_4C			3.750 ns
Tc_Naph_86_4C			3.728 ns
Tc_Naph_88_1C			3.725 ns
Tc_Naph_90_2C			3.716 ns
Tc_Naph_93_1C			3.704 ns
Tc_Naph_94_7C			3.673 ns
Tc_Naph_97_7C			3.684 ns
Tc_Naph_97_9C			3.665 ns

I used an Import command to read in the file, but now I am just sitting and=
 staring, without a clue how to get the 84_2 converted to the number 84.2,e=
tc. and ending up with two lists: Run 1 and Run 2, consisting of pairs of t=
emperature and time.  The temperature will eventually be converted to 1/abs=
olute temperature.

I've read lots and lots of help, thumbed through dozens of pages of a Mathe=
matica 5 manual, and don't know where to start.  I'm trying to help a 90-ye=
ar-old chemistry professor, who is currently using a calculator, but  there=
 will be dozens of runs of this experiment.