Re: Solving non linear equations

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg120018] Re: Solving non linear equations
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 04:18:05 -0500 (EST)

Please use lower-case letters, such as 'a', instead of upper-case
letters for names you devise. (To avoid clashes with built-in
Mathematica names, all of which begin with '$' or else an upper-case
letter.) Thus you should use for your equation:

  x + 1/(1 + r^x) + a == 0

Are r and a supposed to be real, or would complex values be OK?  What
range of values do you want for r or for a?

What makes you think there is a solution? Have you tried plotting. Look,
e.g., at:

On Mar 3, 2013, at 10:58 PM, Norman Polozka <normanmath at> wrote:

>   I want to solve such equation by using mathematica,
> Solve[x+1/(1+r^x)+A==0,x]
> But it says it can't solve. Any idea of solving such equations?

Murray Eisenberg                                    murray at
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305