Greek symbols mangled by InputForm

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg130067] Greek symbols mangled by InputForm
  • From: at
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 22:49:01 -0500 (EST)
I opened a very old notebook (done in Mathematica 4 some 10 years ago) under Mathematica 9.0.1 running under Mac OS X 10.6.9.   The InputForm output of Greek symbols is mangled. For example

produces a circumflexed I followed by the 1/4 fraction. Cutting and pasting that output into an Input cell  reproduces that garbage.  The problem seems to occur only with that filter, which unfortunately I use a lot for inlining code.

Is there an option that can be set so that the Greek symbols are respected?