Re: Mathematica 9 install

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130091] Re: Mathematica 9 install
  • From: awnl <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 16:47:08 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> Can both Mathematica 9 and Mathematica 8 run on the same computer at
> the same time? When Mathematica 9 is installed it renames the
> existing MathKernel, Mathematica, math, mathematica, and mss scripts
> in /usr/local/bin.

There were several answers that indicate that it is/should be possible.
I wanted to ensure that it definitely is possible.

It has been no problem since at least version 4 and there is no
indication that anything has changed with that for version 9 on linux.
Right now I have version 5 to 9 installed with no problems.

The program files you see in /usr/local/bin are just symbolic links to
start scripts, so even if they don't exist you can start mathematica,
the kernel and mcc from their actual installation directory, and that's
where they search for executables when calling each other: I have never
seen problems because one part of mathematica would try to talk to
another part from a wrong version (with the default setup).

Renaming existing links before installing a new version in
/usr/local/bin so you can start different versions without full
pathnames from the command line isn't really necessary, but seems a
reasonable thing to do.

hth,

albert