Re: Preventing a plot used as background from updating

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg130725] Re: Preventing a plot used as background from updating
  • From: Fred Simons <f.h.simons at>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 04:24:33 -0400 (EDT)

You could used nested Dynamics, something like Dynamic[
Graphics[{contourplot, Dynamic[other stuff]].

Here is a toy  example demonstrating the principle. Updating of the
variable a  is time consuming, while updating of b is fast. The variable
a is not updated when only the value of b changes.

a = RandomReal[]; b = RandomReal[];
Column[{ Dynamic[{Pause[2]; a, Dynamic[b]}],
    Button["a", a = RandomReal[]],
   Button["b", b = RandomReal[]]

Fred Simons
Eindhoven University of Technology