Re: How Random works?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg130741] Re: How Random works?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 04:11:52 -0400 (EDT)

Documentation Center page tutorial/SomeNotesOnInternalImplementation, which is on-line at
says merely:

   "The default pseudorandom number generator for functions like RandomReal
    and RandomInteger uses a cellular automaton-based algorithm."

On May 7, 2013, at 3:53 AM, Joug Raw <jougraw at> wrote:

> I want to know which algorithm Mathematica are using to generate random
> numbers. How large is its period? And how the deterministic part works? I
> also need to have an quantitative idea about the bias in a random sequence
> produced by this algorithm.
> I tried google it, but have nothing found regarding to any details about
> the algorithm. Any one can help? Thanks.

Murray Eisenberg                                    murray at
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305