Re: defining averages over unknown PDF

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131999] Re: defining averages over unknown PDF
  • From: Itai Seggev <itais at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 02:10:44 -0500 (EST)

Typo in my previous email.  There should have been no undscore, since f is the
function we're binding to:

f /: Derivative[n_][f] := (-1)^n f

Also, it would have been better to write this as

f /: Derivative[n_][f] := (-1)^n f[#]&

or we'd end up with the compond head -f acting on its arguments for odd orders.

As for formulating things in terms of Derivative, I don't think that will solve
your problem.  Because if you have av[f[x, y],x], then the chain rule will put
df on the outside of av, which may not be what you want.  It is rather unclear
how you could write the rules in terms of Derivative, but if you can that would
be the right solution.

--
Itai Seggev
Mathematica Algorithms R&D