Re: Version 9 Trial contaminates Version 8 running paid

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131813] Re: Version 9 Trial contaminates Version 8 running paid
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 22:09:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi --

There is a file installed by Mathematica (on the mac it is inside a
folder called Library) called mathpass. You could search for it.

You can open it with a text editor.

Each time that you install a version of Mathematica, a new license or
activation code is written to the file. This file is shared by all
versions of mathematica on your system.

When Mathematica starts up, it looks for a valid activation. It uses the
first one it sees.

Theoretically, when your trial license for version 9 expires,
Mathematica 8 will search and find your valid license for version 8.

I have a similar problem -- being a beta tester for Mathematica 10. When
I crank up Mathematica 9, it is using the activation for v 10.

If you are concerned, you can edit mathpass to get rid of the trial
activation. I believe that you could simply delete mathpass and when you
start up version 8 again, simply reactivate it.

If you look at the Wolfram documentation for resetting Mathematica, it
suggests that as a last resort, you can deleter the Mathematica folders
in the two Library folders (the computer wide one and the user-specific
one). Details vary by system. I had an issue recently where I had to do
this, and when I restarted Mathematica 9, I had to re-activate, but it
worked.

It should be possible to simply delete mathpass.

Check with customer service.

george

On Oct 9, 2013, at 2:11 AM, E. Martin-Serrano <eMartinSerrano at telefonica.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now, I have realized that the notebooks created and running  under the V8
> paid version also display the legend Wolfram Mathematica -  PRODUCT
> TRIAL .
>
> So it is not only the Welcome Screen what has been contaminated by the
> trial V9 version.

comunicaciones, =
> y por
> la legislaci=F3n de protecci=F3n de datos de car=E1cter =
personal. Si =