Re: Version 9 Trial contaminates Version 8 running paid version

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131815] Re: Version 9 Trial contaminates Version 8 running paid version
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 22:10:27 -0400 (EDT)

Does V8 still work as normal (except for that warning).

If so, then it's likely that the mathpass file, which contains the
licensing information, is causing the _alleged_ problem.

At least if you used Mathematica's Preferences (Options on Windows as I
recall) to use version-specific front end preferences -- and possibly in
any case -- this plain-text file is in the folder:

  $UserBaseDirectory/Licensing

Open that file in any plain-text editor and make the window wide enough
so you see the entire long lines of the form

  machine-name    some-3-part-string-of-digits   activation-code   another-code     your-name

Each line represents one version of Mathematica, typically with the most-recently-installed version first. If that's the trial V9 you installed, then try moving the line for V8 back to the top, saving, restarting. That should avoid the annoying warning message.

In principle, Mathematica is supposed to "fall-through" a line until it finds the one appropriate, but I've at times had problems with this when running several versions.

On Oct 9, 2013, at 2:11 AM, E. Martin-Serrano <eMartinSerrano at telefonica.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now, I have realized that the notebooks created and running  under the V8
> paid version also display the legend Wolfram Mathematica -  PRODUCT
> TRIAL .
>
> So it is not only the Welcome Screen what has been contaminated by the
> trial V9 version.

comunicaciones, =
> y por
> la legislaci=F3n de protecci=F3n de datos de car=E1cter =
personal. Si =
> usted recibe
> este correo electr=F3nico por error, gracias por informar  =
> inmediatamente al
> remitente y destruir el mensaje. Al no estar asegurada la integridad =
de =
> este
> mensaje sobre la red, el remitente no se hace responsable por su =
> contenido.
> Su contenido no constituye ning=FAn  compromiso para el remitente, =
salvo
> ratificaci=F3n escrita por ambas partes.  Aunque se esfuerza al =
m=E1ximo =
> por
> mantener su red libre de virus, el emisor  no puede garantizar nada al
> respecto y no ser=E1 responsable de cualesquiera da=F1os que =
puedan =
> resultar de
> una transmisi=F3n de virus.

---
Murray Eisenberg                                    =
murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower
University of Massachusetts