Re: RV: Version 9 Trial contaminates Version 8 running paid version

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131850] Re: RV: Version 9 Trial contaminates Version 8 running paid version
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 00:17:14 -0400 (EDT)

On 10/10/2013 03:15, John Fultz wrote:
> The problem is that Mathematica 8 is picking up Mathematica 9's
> activation information preferentially.  If you did nothing, after the
> trial period expired, Mathematica 8 would revert to its normal behavior
> (because the Mathematica 9 activation entry would be no good, so it
> would just skip it).  But I'm guessing you don't want to wait 25 days
> for that to happen.
>
> Take a look at the output of this:
>
> FilePrint[$PasswordFile]
>
> In all likelihood, you'll see two entries (or maybe more, but the first
> two are probably the ones that matter); the first one will have an
> activation key corresponding to your trial version, and the second with
> an activation key corresponding to your version 8.
>
> You could simply flip them around with any text editor.  Or with
> Mathematica.  This code should do the trick (the complexity in the code
> is to preserve the position of some comment metadata that might be in
> your password file).
>
> lines = Import[$PasswordFile, "Lines"];
> lines = Split[lines,
>     SameQ @@ StringMatchQ[{##}, StartOfString ~~ "%" ~~ __] &];
> lines = Flatten[Reverse /@ lines];
> Export[$PasswordFile, lines, "Lines"];
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Fultz
> jfultz at wolfram.com
> User Interface Group
> Wolfram Research, Inc.

John, Why doesn't Mathematica always scan the mathpass file for the most
permissive password for the version of Mathematica being loaded? If it
did this, in the case being discussed, it would find that the v8
password was time unlimited, rather than use the limited access granted
by the v9 password.

David