Re: Remote kernels in Mathematica

  • To: uiucuxc!yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu!mathgroup-adm (Anand Patwardhan)
  • Subject: Re: Remote kernels in Mathematica
  • From: uiucuxc!quark.umd.edu!mcdonald (Bill MacDonald)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 90 8:13:12 EDT

William M. MacDonald
Internet : MCDONALD at QUARK.UMD.EDU
Bitnet   : MCDONALD at CINCOM

>         I'd like to run a remote kernel in Mathematica, with the front end on
> a Macintosh. I do the necessary stuff in the 'Edit Connections' menu and add
> the hostnames (actually I put in the IP numbers) of the hosts on which I
> want to run the kernel. Now when I try to actually open a connection,
> Mathematica complains that it cannot find the 'Hosts' file and leaves MacTCP
> all confused.
>
>         I tried to explore and could not find any documentation about this
> file and/or its syntax etc..
>
>         Anybody out there have success in running a remote kernel in
> Mathematica on the Macintosh? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Anand
> Anand Patwardhan	|INTERNET	:	ap10 at andrew.cmu.edu
> Dept. of Engg. and	|BITNET	:	apat at drycas.BITNET
> Public Policy, C.M.U	|(others)..{harvard,psuvax1}!andrew.cmu.edu!ap10
> Pittsburgh PA 15213	|VOICE		:	(412)-268-5617 (office)

I am running from MacIICi to a DECstation 3100 using the frontend on the MAC
and the remote kernel on the DECstation.  I had the same difficulty, but
solved it by deselecting the Host File box (take out the check).  I think you
must need a local file and Mathematica can not find it.  Let me hear from
you if this works or if there are other problems.  Like many users I don't
have time to read every word in the documentation.
Bill (William M. MacDonald, Prof of Physics, U of Maryland)