Re: bug-checking experiment

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu (mathgroup)
  • Subject: Re: bug-checking experiment
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 11:44:25 -0600

p.kent at imperial.ac.uk writes:
>Dear MathGroup,
>
>I'd appreciate it if any of you running the X Front End could try
>this little procedure, which hangs the FE on both SGI and DEC RISC
>(versions 2.2 and 2.2.1):
>
>Start the FE, and execute an Input[] command. That should work
>fine. Now do another Input[] --- you may get a message saying
>"Mathematica could not find an important resource..." and
>the kernel is hung.
>
>Do any of the FE versions not have this bug?
>
>If you find it, send a message to support at wri.com asking them why
>a bug which was in the beta release of XFE last fall is STILL
>there after TWO release versions.
>
>It's not my intention to harass WRI Technical Support, but I've
>tried several times to get a response through the "usual channels"
>and got nowhere.
>
>Phillip Kent
>Imperial College
>London.

This bug is not present in version 2.2.2 of Mathematica with the
X Front End, the current shipping version for the platforms you
mention.

Anyone having problems with this bug can contact Wolfram Research
Technical Support (support at wri.com or support-euro at wri.com) and
requesta  bug-fix upgrade.

I hope this helps.

--Ian