RunThrough[] command

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3489] RunThrough[] command
  • From: mhsmith at hiwaay.net (Matt Smith)
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 22:40:21 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

We're running mma 2.2.3 under Windows 3.11 and would very much like to
use the RunThrough[] command to collect the output from some old DOS
software we wrote.  The program prints a list of 256 numbers to the
screen and we want to read that into the mma list.  The software is
_not_ witten in C, and we definately don't want to have to rewrite it
in order to use Math Link.

Anyways, neither RunThrough[] not Run[] seem to do what I think they
should do.  As an example, I wrote a one-line DOS program TEMP.EXE
which simply prints the number 169 to the screen.  From within mma, I
enter Run[c:\\temp.exe] which returns a value of 33?  What's going on
here?

Also, RunThrough[] requires two arguments, RunThrough["command",expr].
Is this equivalent to typing:

    command expr

or

    command /expr

or

    command [return]
    expr [return]

at the DOS prompt?

If anyone has any ideas I'ld sure love to here them!

Matt Smith
mhsmith at hiwaay.net

"If you don't know the right hand rule, you don't know SQUAT!"

	- Matt, guitar-playing, physicist, harbinger of death

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====