Re: Win 95 and input boxes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3472] Re: Win 95 and input boxes
  • From: Dr Phillip Kent <p.kent at ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 22:37:22 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

David Bartond <bartond at violet.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>I have been trying to setup a data analysis package originally developed
>on the Mac front end.  The problem that I have is that I cannot activate
>the graphics sheet beneath the input box so that I can select the points
>of an X-Y plot.  When the input box is on top I cannot even use the
>scroll bar on my front end.

The dialog box is programmed that way. I wrote a dialog of my own
using Microsoft Visual C++, which you can get from:

ftp://metric.ma.ic.ac.uk/project/DialogBox/inputbox2.0/Windows/

To run the program as written, get the file inputbox.exe and install
it in the main Mathematica directory. Then in Mma do

link=Install["inputbox.exe"]

which installs the function TMPInputBox. It behaves exactly like
InputString rather than Input, so it returns a string. If you know
C++ you could write a dialog to replace Input.

BTW, I make no claims for the quality of my C++ code, it works and
that's about it.

Regards, Phillip.

 Dr Phillip Kent                  | tel: +44 (0)171 594 8503
 The METRIC Project               | fax: +44 (0)171 594 8517
 Mathematics Department           |
 Imperial College                 | p.kent at ic.ac.uk
 180 Queen's Gate                 |
 London SW7 2BZ, U.K.             | http://metric.ma.ic.ac.uk/