Instabilities(?) in mma 30 under W95

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6844] Instabilities(?) in mma 30 under W95
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 02:33:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am experiencing some strange phenomena with some notebooks in some
sessions of windows 95. I don't know if they are "bugs" or windows
instabilities etc., so I thought I would ask if anyone else had similar
experience.  My system is a Pentium 166 with 32M ram and a 300M swap
file.  I run Mma 3.0 on Win95.

#1 any attempt to open more than 3 notebooks at the same time is doomed
to failure, opening 2 is risky.  What happens is that the computer
forgets where the top of the notebook window is and starts writing
components of the notebook all over the top of the screen.  The only
cure besides closing the program and losing whatever information is in
the kernel is to close the notebooks and run the screen saver to clear
the screen, then open the notebooks again, taking care never to have two
windows fully open on the screen at the same time.

#2  I have a notebook which has a cell that over time has become
"corrupt" in that pressing shift-enter causes mathematica to assign the
cell an In[]=, but it will not execute the code inside.  Copying the
entire contents of the cell at one time to a new notebook does not fix
the problem, but copying the contents of the cell piece by piece to a
new cell does fix the problem until the next time I open the notebook.
This particular notebook is the first time I have attempted to write a
large, working program using two-dimensional code rather than text only
code.