Unknown options in Mma 3.0: built-in functions vs. user-defined functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6943] Unknown options in Mma 3.0: built-in functions vs. user-defined functions
  • From: r.lawrence at worldnet.att.net (Robert Lawrence)
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:48:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Does anyone know why the response to the attempted use of a function
with an unknown option differs depending on whether the function is
built in or user-defined?

If I try to use, say, Plot, with an unknown option (call it "newopt"),
I get the error message Plot::optx: Unknown option newopt in
Plot[.....].  However, if I use a user-defined function with an
unknown option, I get no error message -- rather, the option is simply
ignored.

Bob Lawrence