Re: Performance under Win95

You should check to see whether you're running the same version of
Mathematica on both machines.  There were some significant
optimizations that sped up Mathematica for Windows from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1.
If you have Mathematica 3.0.0 installed on your Pentium II Win95
system, and 3.0.1 running on the NT4 system, that would explain the
difference.

As a general rule of thumb, when doing such timing comparisons between
OS's, it's always good to make sure that they have not only identical
hardware, but identical versions of Mathematica; algorithmic or
optimization changes in the Mathematica binary may account for speed
differences even in .0.x releases.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz@wolfram.com