Re: Customizing your keyboard by creating new aliases

To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
> To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
> Subject: [mg10682] [mg10625] Customizing your keyboard by creating new aliases
>
> Hi all,
>
> I previously asked if Mathematica supported curly quotes, and thanks to
> Allan Hayes and Paul Abbott I discovered that it does. However, the
> only ways to input this character are through the palettes or by using
> their complete names. That is, no aliases exist for these characters,
> and I couldn't find any way to create new aliases in the help.

> the TextResources directory and discovered the file
> UnicodeCharacters.tr. This file contains a list of all named characters
> and their aliases. So, I tried putting in a new alias for the curly
> quotes, and voila, when I restarted Mathematica, these new aliases
> worked! So, if any one wants to create new aliases this is one way to
> do so.
>
> Carl Woll
> Dept of Physics
> U of Washington

Ok - open Your UnicodeCharacters.tr You will find in the lines 721--724
the entries
0x2018 \[OpenCurlyQuote]		() Open  -10 None 0 0		0x2019 0x2019
\[CloseCurlyQuote]		() Close -10 None 0 0 0x201C
\[OpenCurlyDoubleQuote]		() Open	 -10 None 0 0		0x201D 0x201D
\[CloseCurlyDoubleQuote]		() Close -10 None 0 0

The empty () indicates that no aliases are availabe. Defining an alias
is simple. I suggest clq for curly left quote, crq for curly right
quote, clqq for curly left qoute quote, ..

You are still in Your prefered text editor and edit UnicodeCharacters.tr
and change the lines to

0x2018 \[OpenCurlyQuote]		($clq$) Open  -10 None 0 0		0x2019 0x2019
\[CloseCurlyQuote]		($crq$) Close -10 None 0 0 0x201C
\[OpenCurlyDoubleQuote]		($clqq$) Open	 -10 None 0 0		0x201D 0x201D
\[CloseCurlyDoubleQuote]		($crqq$) Close -10 None 0 0

thats all. If You are opening next time Your frontend You have the
aliases. If You want use other aliases make sure that the alias is not
used for
 any other character.

Hope that helps
Jens