Re: Corrupt Mathematica Notebooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13273] Re: Corrupt Mathematica Notebooks
  • From: "Reinhold Kainhofer" <i-reink>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 03:18:11 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

bobmccrory at my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Every three months or so, one of my Mathematica notebooks gets
> corrupted. Since I only use Mathematica to edit these notebooks, the
> corruption is coming from within Mathematica itself.  I use the Windows
> version of Mathematica 3.0.1.  Can anyone tell me why this occurs?  Is
> there any utility to help me rebuild a corrupt notebook?  Are there any
> preventive measures?

 That problem occurred to me, too, every two weeks or so. The notebook
is corrupted in that way that in the textual representation of some
cell expressions the first few letters of "Cell" are changed to some
(randomly chosen) letters, i.e. dXell[......]. The second thing, that
appears in the same cell expression is that the trailing ] is removed.

For example a part of the notebook
..., Cell[...], Cell[BoxData[
    RowBox[{
      SuperscriptBox["a", "2"], "+"}]], "Input"], Cell[....], ... may be
changed to
..., Cell[...], vXll[BoxData[
    RowBox[{
      SuperscriptBox["a", "2"], "+"}]], "Input", Cell[....], ...

The only way to make the notebook work again is (at least I have not yet
found any other way) is to work through the notebook in a pure text
editor and correct all the corrupted cells as described above.

Reinhold