ImageRegion.... What is it?

While editing the preferences (Mathematica 3.0), I found a graphics
option called "ImageRegion".  With parameters for Top, Bottom, Left,
and Right.  What does this option set do?  I could not find anything
about it in the Manual or online at the Mathematica site.  I tried
changing the values, but it just made my plots unintelligible.

Are there any books or other resources that document the front end for
3.0?

Thanks,
Larry