Re: interface between Mathematica and MS Word 7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17085] Re: interface between Mathematica and MS Word 7
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 03:34:54 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7f1aod$kdg at smc.vnet.net>, "Bernard J. Hall" <hall at massed.net> writes:

> The problem involves the interface between Mathematica and MS Word 7.
> (a) When copying graphics into Word, the transfer with Copy and Paste
> produces a very small graphic which must be dragged by its handles to a
> larger size. Sometimes this is very difficult because of the size of the
> graphic. Is there a way to produce a larger graphic?

Are you sure you're using Word 7 (Word for Windows 95) or Word 97?

When you copy and paste a graphic in the manner that you describe, a
Metafile rendition of the graphic is what is being pasted into the
graphic.  We have seen examples where this transfer method behaves
as you describe for Word 97.  This can be avoided by performing
the paste operation as follows.

1) Click on the contents of Mathematica graphics cell that is
generated (i.e., not the cell bracket).

2) Click on the front end menu command sequence Edit -> Copy.

3) Place the text cursor in your Word document to the location where you
want the Mathematica graphic to appear.

4) Use the Word 97 menu command sequence Edit -> Paste Special...
On the resulting dialog box, select Picture (Enhanced Metafile).

> (b) While the Thickness option will produce wider lines and curves, copying
> graphics with widened lines and curves does not copy to MS Word. It is as
> if Thickness was never used. Any way around this?

This has been reported by other users and is a side effect of translating
the PostScript description of the graphic to the Metafile format.  If you
want to preserve the appearance of the graphic as much as possible, you
may want to consider using Encapsulated PostScript as your transfer
medium.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com