Ticker Tape/Theater Marquee Display?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20967] Ticker Tape/Theater Marquee Display?
  • From: siegman at stanford.edu (AES)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 01:50:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'd like to have a small routine that would scroll a text message across
the screen inside a window, like a theater marquee or the old Times Square
advertising displays or the stock markets quotes at the bottom of certain
television programs.

The crude solution I've come up with is:

s = "This is a test string that will be scrolled across the screen like a
stock market ticker tape." ;

w = 40; n = 1;
nb = NotebookCreate[];
While[n <=StringLength[s] - w,
   (NotebookWrite[nb, StringTake[s, {n, n+w}], After];
    Pause[0.00001];
    SelectionMove[nb, All, Cell];
    n = n + 1)]

Can anyone suggest anything more sophisticated?  Why does this version
scroll so slowly?   Anyone know of a dot matrix type font that would make
the output look more realistic?

Email cc of replies to siegman at stanford.edu appreciated.