Re: Can this ODE be solved?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg15496] Re: Can this ODE be solved?
- From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
- Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:22:42 -0500
- Organization: University of Western Australia
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Harry Kiesel wrote: > Mathematica 3.0 returned the following ODE unsolved. I beleive the > solution involves special functions. > > Is there a way of sloving this type of equation with Mathematica. > > The equation is > > (t-t^3/4)*D[G[t],t,t]+(t^2/4+2*x*t)*D[G[t],t]+(x+t/4)*G[t]==0. I have not managed to solve this differential equation in terms of special functions. However, some comments about the solution can be found in the following Notebook: ftp://ftp.physics.uwa.edu.au/pub/Mathematica/MathGroup/RiemannDE.nb Cheers, Paul ____________________________________________________________________ Paul Abbott Phone: +61-8-9380-2734 Department of Physics Fax: +61-8-9380-1014 The University of Western Australia Nedlands WA 6907 mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au AUSTRALIA http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul God IS a weakly left-handed dice player ____________________________________________________________________