Word processing in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21919] Word processing in Mathematica?
  • From: Jack Goldberg <jackgold at math.lsa.umich.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 02:54:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi group,

I am about to write an article using Mathematica (V.4.0.1 for the PowerMac).
I was hoping that I could do both the word processing and the mathematics
all staying within the context of Mathematica.  "The Beginner's Guide To
Mathematica, Version 4" by Glynn and Gray states explicitly that the
entire book was done this way and they offer a bit of information on how
to do this ( more of a tease than a usable manual).  I have an
extensive library of books on Mathematica, but none of them, including the BOOK,
does a satisfactory job of explaining the critical details.  They simply
focus on how to set up a Style page, change fonts, faces etc.
But how does one get traditional text output for an equation
which is in-line in a text cell?  (In TEX this is done by using the $
sign). Is it possible to get equations numbered automatically? There are
many, many such issues.  Is there a good (or even modest) discussion of
this available anywhere?

Perhaps I should do the writing using TEX and imbed the Mathematica stuff in the
TEX documents.  Any suggestions, recommendations and references would be
very much appreciated.

Jack