re: ReadList Error message:"Tag Times"
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg21433] re: ReadList Error message:"Tag Times"
- From: dkeith at sarif.com
- Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 00:20:42 -0500 (EST)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I most often see this message when I accidently imbed a space in the left part of the expression, giving it a head of Times. For example if a space was imbedded in "data", say "dat a", it would become Times[dat,a], and the kernel wouldn't like it. Dave In article <84dna1$31d at smc.vnet.net>, "Deborah Leddon " <Dleddon at students.cas.unt.edu> wrote: > Hello, > > I am trying to read in a data file in .txt format (created and saved > under Excel) as below: > > In:= data = ReadList["A:\\ filename", Number]; > > I get the error message "Set::Write: tag Times in data is > Protected." > > What does this mean? The data obviously cannot be read into the > notebook.Is there a specific format in Excel, ie; row vs. column, > etc, that is better for saving data? > > Thanks in advance if anyone can help. > > Debbie Leddon > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy.