Re: problems saving and opening notebooks using menus

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23963] Re: problems saving and opening notebooks using menus
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 03:00:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <8icd6o$9qp at smc.vnet.net>,
 Michael Gilchrist <mag5 at duke.edu> writes:

> I recently moved from Mathematica 4.0 on Solaris to 4.0 on Linux (RH
> 6.2 running X with gnome desktop on a PIII box) and I keep running into
> this problem when I try to save and open notebooks using the menu
> buttons.
>
> Basically, the first time I call up function from the menu that gives
> me a dialog box that lists the files in the directory (e.g. when you
> try to open a file or do a Save As) the cursor on the file name line
> within the box is blinking and I can type whatever I want, delete
> characters, etc.  However, when I call up a dialog box again the
> cursor is no longer blinking and although the buttons still work,  I
> can't change anything within the file name line.
>
> This is starting to drive me a bit batty. I'm wondering if anyone
> else has run into a similar problem or has any idea what's going on here.

I believe that I have seen this behavior once in a great while under
Linux.  If I close the file dialog and then reperform the operation
to summon the dialog, it works okay.

What window manager are you running?  GNOME is not really a window
manager as such as it is a framework for applications to interoperate
with one another.  Chances are you are using the Enlightenment window
manager, which is still a 0.x product.  You might want to try playing
around with Mathematica under a different window manager.  A list of
GNOME-friendly window managers may be found here:

http://www.labs.redhat.com/gug/users-guide/wm.html#WMABOUT

In any event, let us know whether the problem persists.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.