signal processing w/ mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22442] signal processing w/ mathematica
  • From: "Richard G. S. Spencer" <spencer at helix.nih.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 02:21:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello everyone,

I could really use a recommendation for a book(s) (website?) illustrating
the use of Mathematica 4.0 (standard package) for digital signal processing
(correlation, autocorrelation, fourier transforms, filter design,
windowing, etc.).  Many books are described on the Mathematica website which appear
to touch on the subject but since I have no way to actually see them, it
would be a matter of guesswork to decide which one(s) to buy.

I'm an NMR spectroscopist so I know a fair bit about signal processing;
it's the specific Mathematica implementation I need help with.

For example, the topic of scaling of the time/frequency axis of a Fourier
transform and inverse Fourier transform has been a discussion point
previously in this group with much good general advice, but I'm interested
in working with data and simulations, not in becoming a clever Mathematica
programmer to determine how to implement procedures in a useful fashion.

I realize that all the functionality is already contained in Mathematica to do
signal processing, but it takes some real effort to make things work
precisely and conveniently.   Someone else must have already worked all
this out and published it! (I hope).

Thanks,
Richard Spencer
spencer at helix.nih.gov

Richard G. S. Spencer, Ph.D., M.D., F.A.C.P.
Chief, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Unit
NIH/National Institute on Aging
Intramural Research Program
GRC 4D-08                                               Tel:  410-558-8226
5600 Nathan Shock Drive                     FAX:  410-558-8323
Baltimore, MD  21224                             e-mail:  spencer at helix.nih.gov

Note revised URL--
NMR Unit web page:
http://www.grc.nia.nih.gov/branches/lci/nmr/nmr.htm