degree symbol "bug"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23483] degree symbol "bug"
  • From: king at dircon.co.uk (Nigel King)
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 22:54:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Users,
I typically write papers in LaTeX (pdftex on CMacTeX Macintosh) and
distribute them in pdf form. The results of mathematical work is often
graphical. I create a pdf graph (Mathematica 4.01) by edit->save
selection as->EPS (other methods like Export are unreliable), correct
the bounding box error and distill the result using Acrobat 4.05. The
results are nearly always excellent.

A bug which I have never been able to fix is the degree symbol finshes
up as an inverted exclamation mark. All other "symbols" that I have
tried have been successful, it is just the degree symbol that I have not
made work. I have tried changing the encoding but have not understood
how that moves throught the various processes described above. The
symbol appears in the Mathematica Postscript as \\241. It appears in the
same form in the eps file. I normally use "Times-Roman" as the font but
courier exhibits the same problem.

As a temporary "fix" I have changed the degree symbol to the power of an
emptysmallcircle

Any answers would be most welcome.

--
Nigel King - Radio Systems Consultant, KingComm Ltd