Re: recursion

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25888] Re: recursion
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 02:55:59 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"F.M.Brul" <fmbrul at conceptsfa.nl> wrote in message
news:8u0cg3$t5r at smc.vnet.net...
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone explain to me what recursion means in terms of
> converting an infix notation method to an pre or postfix
> notati n method? Where van I find an example perhaps?
> I want to write an algorithm that can converts say  (3 + 4)*6 to  *6+(3 4)
> Hope this is the right group to post this question...

In the context of the problem you are discussing, recursion is a way to
efficiently break down the task of converting an expression in infix
notation to a postfix notation form.

The reason recursion is a logical approach is because there may be nested
expressions that require the same treatment as the outer expressions that
contain them.

By the way, the proper form for your example is (3 + 4)*6 -> 3 4 + 6 *

Here is a link you may find useful for background:

http://www2.ics.hawaii.edu/~weiq/665/introduction.html

--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com