Re: Macintosh CONFLICT: Mathematica + Instant Palm Desktop

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25663] Re: [mg25627] Macintosh CONFLICT: Mathematica + Instant Palm Desktop
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:52:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 02:04 AM 10/16/2000, Viorel Negoita wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm running a Mac G3 (OS 9.0.4), with Mathematica 4.0.2.0 and Palm Desktop
>2.6 (which includes the "Instant Palm Desktop" extension version 2.6).
>Every time (well, almost every time) I quit Mathematica, the Finder quits
>also (actually I have to open ANY menu in the menu bar for the Finder to
>crash). So I have to disable the palm extension. Anyone having similar
>problems? is there a fix? I was thinking of going back to Palm Desktop 2.5
>and updating only the hotsync stuff needed  for OS 9.0.4, but before I do
>that I would like to check to see if anyone has any other idea.
>
>BTW: otherwise the system is rock stable. Here is the complete specs:
>
>Blue G3/350 MHz/192 MB/Mac OS 9.0.4 with Maxtor HD (1,0) 30 GB 7200 RPM
>and Quantum HD (0,1) 5400 RPM and DVD Rom Drive (Matshita) (0,0).
>
>The numbers in paranthesis mean (ATA bus, master/slave).
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>Viorel

Palm has confirmed with us that the problem is theirs, but it's not clear
when it's going to be fixed.  The problem, I believe, is that their
extension for modifying the menu bar breaks after Mathematica modifies the
standard Help menu provided to it by the System (this allows certain
system-level help facilities to continue to be available in Mathematica
while still providing access to the Mathematica online documentation in an
intuitive way).

This isn't the only problem I've seen with the PalmOS software on Macintosh
(among other things, my wife has found that having HotSync running in the
background makes her PowerBook G3 lock up when she tries to wake it from
sleep mode), and I share your frustration.  Unfortunately, we're not aware
of a way to work around the problem in Mathematica and still provide all of
the functionality which we normally provide.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group