Re: I hate using Legend

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29164] Re: [mg29147] I hate using Legend
  • From: BobHanlon at aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 04:15:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In a message dated 2001/5/31 12:43:29 AM, bap at roe.ac.uk writes:

>I am very frustrated by the Legend package.
>
>I have tried using it on and off for several years now,
>and I am always dissatisfied with its output.
>
>The main difficulty I have is with the size of the legend box
>being too small for the key label I want to use.
>It works fine for single (or a few) letter labels,
>but seems to screw up for a label of more than about 10 characters.
>The box clips the longer labels.
>I've tried using LabelTextSpacing, etc but it then
>opens a can of worms trying to balance all the spacings
>to get a decent label.
>
>Does anyone else have these problems with Legend?
>
>Are there any easy answers?

If this does not address your concern you need to provide an example of the
problem you are having.

Needs["Graphics`Legend`"];

Plot[{Sin[x], Cos[x]}, {x, 0, 2Pi},
    PlotStyle -> {RGBColor[1, 0, 0],
        {RGBColor[0, 0, 1], AbsoluteDashing[{5, 3}]}},
    LegendLabel -> "Examples",
    PlotLegend -> {"This is a \nlong label", "short"},
    LegendPosition -> {1.1, -.25},
    ImageSize -> 500];

Bob Hanlon
Chantilly, VA  USA