RE: multiplyin a symbol by 0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29210] RE: [mg29197] multiplyin a symbol by 0
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 05:30:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It looks as if you are actually using quotation marks around your symbols
and integers. This turns them into strings, which are entirely different
objects in Mathematica. Leave off the quotation marks. (On output,
Mathematica does not display the quotation marks and this can lead to
confusion.)

"a" "0"
0 a  (The quotation marks were not displayed)

a 0
0

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net