Re: How to produce "thick" lines in 3D?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29439] Re: How to produce "thick" lines in 3D?
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 05:35:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

the easy way is to use MathGL3d from

http://phong.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~kuska/mathgl3dv3/

and send the lines to the MathGL3d window with a

MVLineTubeSize->any number

option. You can still adjust the tube radius interactive
in the visual parameter panel of MathGL3d.

You *can* use Thickness[] in 3d plots with

gg = ParametricPlot3D[{Cos[phi], Sin[phi], 1, Thickness[0.05]}, {phi, 0,
2Pi}]

you will get a thick line.

To get the polygon out-line you have to tranform the polygons
with the WireFrame[] function or with

the rule

yourGraphics3dObject /.
  Polygon[pnts_]:>
    {Thickness[0.05],Line[Append[pnts,First[pnts]]}

Or if the polygons should survive the EdgeForm[]
function will do it.

Regards
  Jens