Re: MathML

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29422] Re: MathML
  • From: "Stephen P Luttrell" <luttrell at signal.dra.hmg.gb>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 05:35:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> There are very few browsers with native support for MathML. Amaya and
> Mozilla, but they both have their problems.

I have tried using Amaya, because it is the official W3C browser, but I get
a lot of parsing errors. In case it is helpful, here is a list of all of the
different types of error that occurred:

line 386, char 22: MathML entity not supported : &LeftBracketingBar;
line 397, char 24: MathML entity not supported : &RightBracketingBar;
line 436, char 12: MathML entity not supported : &ctdot;
line 970, char 6: MathML entity not supported : &LongRightArrow;
line 2164, char 8: Unexpected end tag </P>
line 3094, char 157: Unknown attribute value "align = absmiddle"
line 3431, char 118: Unknown attribute value "Inherited"
line 3973, char 4: Unexpected end tag </a>

The appearance of the displayed mml file was OK, apart from the above
parsing errors, and also a lot of question marks were sprinkled around the
maths (unrelated to the above parsing errors, as far as I could tell).
However, the graphics were more or less OK.

>To view MathML in IE or Netscape, you can use an applet or plug-in.

I have the techexplorer plug-in for IE, but it just gives up and displays my
Mathematica-generated mml file as a veeery long string of text highlighted
in red (i.e. one long error!).

Based on my above experiences, I am coming to the conclusion that
Mathematica + browser (whichever one) cannot yet seamlessly handle MathML,
and that maybe I am expecting too much too soon.

--
Stephen P Luttrell
DERA Malvern, U.K.