Re: Graphing Abnormalities of Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29529] Re: [mg29499] Graphing Abnormalities of Functions
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:47:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I don't know what you mean by "holes" in graphs. Asymptotes (and other
embellishments) can be handled through the use of graphics primitives and
the function Epilog. This essentially superimposes on a plot another
(usually) simpler plot, like a straight line, which can be instructed to
appear dashed or in a different color, etc. This topic requires some study
and experimentation before you can feel comfortable with it. But it pays. I
give you a simple example:

In[1]:=
Plot[1 - Exp[-x], {x, 0, 5}, AxesOrigin -> {0, 0},
    PlotRange -> {{0, 5}, {0, 1}},
    Epilog -> {Hue[1], Dashing[{0.01, 0.02}], Line[{{0, 1}, {10, 1}}]}];

Evaluate this to see a red, dashed asymptote.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City