Re: Graphing Abnormalities of Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29552] Re: Graphing Abnormalities of Functions
  • From: rrosario11 at my-deja.com (Ryan R. Rosario)
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 02:01:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi-

Thanks for the response :-)

By a hole, I mean a removable discontinuity in a graph. For example,
the function ((x^2) + x - 2)/(x - 1) is discontinuous because when
x=1, the function is undefined. I learned that this is called a
"hole." Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology. If so, silly me LOL
:-)

In textbooks, this discontinuity is indicated by displaying a hollow
circle at the point of discontinuity (hole).

Is there a way to tell Mathematica to draw this circle at the point of
discontinuity rather than simply display a break in the graph?

Thanks Again,
Ryan