RE: Making a LIst Reconsidered

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29574] RE: [mg29566] Making a LIst Reconsidered
  • From: "Annetts, David (DEM, North Ryde)" <David.Annetts at syd.dem.csiro.au>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 05:12:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Fujio,
> Dear members of MathGroup :
>     I posted a report titled "Making a List" the other day.
> As it had
> incorrect parts, I might make readers confused.  So, I again
> submit a new
> report, with a regrettable mind.
>
>     I am reporting a trouble converting data from Excel to
> Mathematica.
>     My trouble is as follows:
>     I paste some data from Excel on Mathematica, and the data
> are expressed
> on Mathematica as follows:

> In this situation, I would like to know how to convert them
> into a list such
> as { a, b, c}.
> I hope to receive answers as previously.

You can't do this directly, as least not without some tedious reformatting.
I think the reason is that Mathematica will accept data from the clipboard as a
string rather than a formatted string.

As Drago suggested, the way to go is to save the Excel data in a separate
file and import this, either using Import[] or manually using either Read[]
or ReadList[].

Regards,

Dave.