RE: Re: PS.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29613] RE: [mg29579] Re: PS.
  • From: "Annetts, David (DEM, North Ryde)" <David.Annetts at syd.dem.csiro.au>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 05:28:02 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

> it would make you live much much harder ! because you have to
> re-write FORTRAN code of 40 years of numerical programming.
>
> You could not spend time in doing actual research because
> you have to rewirte millons of FORTRAN  code inlucding the
> nice FORTRAN 4 with computed goto's, assgined if's and
> my beloved EQUIVALENCE statements.
>
> I don't like FORTRAN but it is the basic of all numerical
> programming.

And this is why it is so curious that Mathematica does not have an easy way of
incorporating FORTRAN (or Fortran as it's now known) in Mathematica solutions.  The
current way forces calls to Fortran routines via a C wrapper, further
complicating things.

I can see why it's done this way, although I can't help but think (hope,
pray ...;) that there's a better way.

Regards,

Dave.
  David Annetts, EM Modelling Analyst, CSIRO DEM, North Ryde
  Tel: (+612) 9490 5416
  Fax: (+612) 9490 5467		  David.Annetts at dem.csiro.au
                 Include "usual_disclaimers"