Re: printing in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31707] Re: printing in mathematica
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <luttrell at signal.qinetiq.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 02:48:04 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Mike" <kodanguk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:9tlc88$ph7$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> I have writting a function that goes through several thousand iterations
and
> takes some time to evaluate.  What i would like to do is for it to tell me
> what iteration it is on at any given moment in time - if i use print[ ]
for
> this then i end up with a huge list of numbers.
>
> Is there anyway to output a number to a cell and then to overwrite it with
> another number later?

You can use this useful routine that was posted to this newsgroup a while
ago (by Theodore Gray):

ShowStatus[status_] := LinkWrite[$ParentLink,
SetNotebookStatusLine[FrontEnd`EvaluationNotebook[], ToString[status]]]

Here is an example of how to use it:

Table[If[Mod[i, 10] == 0, ShowStatus[i]]; {i, Zeta[i]},  {i, 500}];

--
Steve Luttrell
QinetiQ