Stupid simple question about counting derivatives

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33437] Stupid simple question about counting derivatives
  • From: Jack <kielczew at poczta.onet.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:27:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

How do I get Mathematica 2.2 to count the derivatives of the simplest
parametric functions, i.e.

(ax)', where a is the parameter and x is the variable. I want to get:

(Hey, I said it was stupid).

D[ax,x] gets me 0, Dt[ax,x] gets me Dt[ax,x] and I haven't figured out
how to use Constants and NonConstants. I'd be grateful for any help as
this simple problem is driving me crazy.

--
Jacek Kie³czewski
kielczew at poczta.onet.pl