Getting Symbolic Real and Imag Parts? (Once Again)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33443] Getting Symbolic Real and Imag Parts? (Once Again)
  • From: aes <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:27:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

OK,  so you can use ComplexExpand expand to find the symbolic real and imag
parts of an expression -- e.g. the input

      zComplex = ComplexExpand[ Sin[a+I b], TargetFunctions->{Re,Im}]

gives as output

      Cosh[b] Sin[a] + I Cos[a] Sinh[b]

as desired.  But now, how do I get Mathematica to peel out the symbolically real and
imaginary parts of this? -- that is, what inputs

      zR = ???

      zI = ???

will give as outputs

      Cosh[b] Sin[a]

and

      Cos[a] Sinh[b]

(Maybe an example in the ComplexExpand Help file would be helpful?)