Sinh[y]/y as y->0?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33449] Sinh[y]/y as y->0?
  • From: aes <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:28:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

A particular calculation produces at an early stage the intermediate result

   p1 = (Sin[x]/x) + (Sinh[y]/y) ,        (x and y both real)

and this result then feeds into further expressions in a lengthy symbolic
calculation.

When I try to do any numerical evaluations of the final expressions with either
x or y = 0, I get "Indeterminate expression" or "infinity 1/0" error messages,
even though the expressions themselves, like the expression above, are perfectly
determinate and finite for those limits.

Any simple way to make this expression behave as it should under numerical
evaluation?