Re: Approximation of a Function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33485] Re: [mg33428] Approximation of a Function
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 04:08:01 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I guess you might use some kind of fit with the model g, giving some points
extracted from f. Now, if you have f, why would you want to find a function
to approximate it?  f is simple enough, i.e. quadratic on x, whereas the g
you get from fitting could actually turn to be more complicated. Do you
think a function of x, where x enters with a possibly non-integral exponent,
is simpler than a polynomial of degree 2?

Tomas Garza
Mexico City