Re: Q: Using dynamic referencing for numbered equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33540] Re: [mg33263] Q: Using dynamic referencing for numbered equations
  • From: Omega Consulting <omega_consulting at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 06:13:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 04:09 AM 3/12/2002, Raul Martinez wrote:
>To the Group:
>
>I use a notebook style that allows using cells for numbered equations.
>Inserting or deleting an equation renumbers all the others
>automatically.
>
>When I type notes in text cells, I refer to the equations by number, as
>usual, but I have been entering the equation numbers manually. As a
>result, I have to change manually the references to the equations
>whenever an equation is inserted or deleted. How can I have the
>reference to the equation also update automatically?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Raul Martinez

First, add a CellTag to the cell that contains the number you want to
reference. Select the cell and use the menu item Find>Add Remove Cell Tags
to give it a CellTag.

Then, use the menu item Input>Create Automatic Numbering Object to create a
counter. Under "Counter Type:" set the type of counter being referenced.
(For example, NumberedEquation.) Then, select the radio button "The first
cell with the tag:". In the text field, put the CellTag you created.

This creates a counter in one location that displays the value of the
counter at the location of the CellTag.

Omega Consulting
"The final answer to your Mathematica needs"

Spend less time searching and more time finding.
http://www.wz.com/internet/Mathematica.html